How does it work?
We supply everything you need to create your own finished, ready-to-hang painting. Here’s how it works:
- Check out our calendar and find the painting you want to create.
- Reserve your space online or by phone.
- Everything you need is provided: 16″x20″ canvas, easel, brushes, water cup and paper towels will be at your table. Tie on your apron, get your paints and you’re ready to go!
- A selection of wine, beer, non-alcoholic beverages and snacks are available for purchase. You must be 21 or over (with valid ID) to purchase alcohol.
- Night classes start at 7:00 p.m. Try to arrive 15-30 minutes before class starts. Find your seat, get your paints, get a refreshment, socialize, relax and get ready to have FUN! We also encourage you to wander around and take a closer look at the painting you’ll be working on as well as the others hanging in our gallery that you might want to come back for.
What makes Paint Misbehavin’ different?
- Our studio is owned and operated by a professional artist. We do not employ art students to teach our classes. Your instructor has been painting for over 35 years and has a wealth of knowledge about art history as well as the processes, techniques and materials used in the classes. We hope you will leave us sharing our love and appreciation for art!
- We have allowed for more space at the tables, giving you plenty of arm- and leg-room and the freedom to move around and customize your space.
- We’ve invested in higher quality easels, brushes and canvases to provide a more authentic experience. Our canvases are medium texture cotton duck with standard 3/4″ solid wood and our sturdy, professional-grade easels allow you to adjust the height and angle to your perfect position.
- You will see evidence of our artistic knowledge and vast experience in our paintings. Some of our paintings may look a bit challenging at first glance, but our instructor will skillfully guide you in creating your own masterpiece.
What is a painting party?
Gather your friends and relatives, or come on your own and meet some new friends, for a little paint, a little drink, a little music and a whole lot of FUN! A painting party is a 2.5 to 3 hour instructor-led painting session where everyone goes home with their own finished painting ready for hanging and showing off. No experience necessary, really!
What should I wear?
Although we are not hosting paint-ball battles or mud wrestling, accidents do happen. You will be working with acrylic paints that use a polymer binder. They dry fast and hard. The paint will come off your hands but not your new shirt. So, don’t wear anything you wouldn’t wear to a pie-eating contest.
What if I have never painted before?
We’re not kidding when we say, no experience necessary! Our instructor will guide you step-by-step through the process of creating a finished painting. We’ll tell you which colors to use, which brush to use, and demonstrate how to make the brushstrokes and create the shapes. Experienced and non-experienced painters alike are always free to improvise and customize their painting to their own liking. We will help you discover your inner van Gogh!
How much is a class and what is included?
The price of a class is $35 per person. For this you get a 16″x20″ pre-stretched, primed canvas, acrylic paint and palette, brushes, professional-grade easel, artist apron and step-by-step instruction from a professional artist. We also give you a metal canvas hanger to clip on the back of your finished painting so it will be ready to be proudly displayed in your home or office! The music and your instructor’s humor are also part of the FUN!
Can my party be seated together?
Of course! If one person is registering for multiple seats, we will reserve that number of seats together. If individuals in a party are registering separately, just have one person contact us online and provide a list of the names that you would like to sit together.
Do I need a reservation?
We do encourage you to make reservations since classes do fill up. However, if a class is not listed as SOLD OUT on the calendar, then walk-ins are welcome up until the class starts (7:00 p.m. for evening classes). Once painting has started we cannot interrupt the class. Reservations may be made online or by phone at 978-618-0794.
What if the class I want to attend is sold out?
Send us a message and ask to be put on the waiting list for that class (please be sure to include the number of seats you want). If space opens up, then we will contact the people on the waiting list in the same order that we received the requests. In addition, we will send you an email the next time that painting is added to the calendar so you will be able to register early for the next class!
What is your cancellation policy?
We ask that you give us 24 hours notice to receive a refund of the registration fee. Cancellations can be made by phone or contact us online. This provides us the opportunity to fill the seats. You are welcome to send someone else in your place; kindly let us know ahead of time so we’ll have their name. We regret that we cannot give refunds or credit for no-shows. Since we do live in New England, we absolutely will issue a credit or refund in the event of a blizzard (or impending blizzard, hurricane, or other major weather event Mother Nature chooses to bestow upon us, or other act of God or conditions beyond our control).
How long are the classes?
We encourage you to arrive by 6:45 p.m. to check in and find your seat. This will give you plenty of time to get your paint, brushes, apron & water cup, and relax and get comfortable with a drink or snack if you’d like. Classes begin at 7:00 p.m. and generally will be finished between 9:30 and 10:00 p.m.
What kind of music do you play?
Ahh… next to art, music is our favorite subject! On most nights we’ll have an eclectic mix of rock, pop, country, folk, folk-rock, classical, reggae, alternative, indie, ambient, Celtic, progrock, blues, chill, trance, lounge, techno, house, EDM, trip-hop, oldies, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, top 40, R&B, soul, shoegazer and, of course, all that jazz!
We also plan to schedule “theme nights” when the music will be directly supporting of the painting. For instance, on a night we’re painting a seascape or summer scene we could make a playlist that mixes the Beach Boys, Motown, summer pop hits, reggae and light jazz. We might have a country night, and oldies night and even an 80’s night (who wouldn’t want to go home with a painting of Pat Benatar or Boy George?!) We will provide ample advance notification of theme nights on our calendar.
Can I bring my own alcohol?
No. Town regulations do not permit BYOB. We have carefully selected choices of wine, beer and non-alcoholic beverages and snacks available for purchase.
Do you have gift certificates?
Yes! Please call us at 978-618-0794 to purchase gift certificates.
Where can I park?
We have ample free on-site parking in lots behind and adjacent to our building. Just look for the signs for NAPA and/or 312 Main St. Plaza and you’ll see the parking lots (the preferred lot is the one behind our building where the NAPA sign is). In addition, there is free on-street parallel parking on Vila do Porto Blvd. just across the street from our front entrance.
Can I reserve the whole studio for my painting party?
Absolutely! We are happy to accommodate private parties. Please visit our Private Events page for more information, then give us a call.
What else do you do at Paint Misbehavin’?
Since Dave will be spending almost all of his waking hours in the studio, he is available for private (acrylic) painting lessons, PhotoShop painting lessons, or paper maché sculpture lessons. In addition, the studio is available during the day for “open painting” — we supply all the materials for you to come in and paint on your own for a couple hours (no instruction). Call or come in and talk to us about what you’d like to do!